I just found out about the Library Elf, a Vancouver web-based service that reminds you when your library books are due, before they're due. Elf is integrated with numerous public (and some academic) library systems in Canada, the US, New Zealand and Australia, and can send you reminders by email, RSS, or text message alerting you to impending due dates, overdue books, and holds available for pick-up. You decide when and how often you get the reminders, and you can also incorporate multiple library accounts so you can monitor your whole family's library book situation.
Because Elf is based in Canada it is not subject to the "Patriot" Act (though given a chance I'm sure Harper would happily sell out our privacy faster than you can say "tar sands"), and your library account is accessed in real time so the information is not stored by Elf, unless you choose the RSS option (their privacy FAQ explains). As a person who makes frequent contributions to the library improvement fund, I am delighted with this new service. Thank you, Library Elf!
via Lifehacker